Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The first post

So here I am. My life, as many can relate, took a very different direction than I ever expected and I am still trying to adjust to my new life. First, a quick run down and introduction. Hi, my name is Susan. I'm 26 (about to be 27 in September, I'm not sure why I insist on following up 26 with "I'll be 27 in September, but I've been doing it since January). In January 2010, I graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park, eight long years after I first started college. I was living with my best friend and the only man I've ever loved. We had a cute apartment with a big kitchen and three cats that had personalities so unique, you'd swear they talked human instead of cat meows. I'd make him lunch for work and I'd have dinner ready when he got home; I loved life and life was good. This is where it starts to go down hill. It took me six months to find a job and that ended up being at an electronic cigarette company where I was the only native American and I did customer service for them. I took this position because I was slotted to move with my boyfriend of 3 years to Montana, where we were going to finish (well, me go back to) school, and I was going to be a teacher and he was going to be a successful graphic designer and/or musician, and we needed money to fund our move. Plans change as he decided he no longer wants to date me for a plethora of reasons that basically boiled down to "I don't know if I will ever want kids." If this is the only, true reason, I do not, or maybe will ever, know as he apparently does not want to talk to me, but more about that later. I will write more about the e-cigarette place at a later date as well, but I left them a week ago to return to a non profit that I have for the past four years worked for as a temporary meetings assistant, that will probably never make me a permanent employee, as you do not have to give benefits or high pay to someone who will essentially beg for her position back every June. I do enjoy working with people who are as intellectually challenging, politically simulating, and hilarious as my coworkers, plus I get to travel, so that's fun.

Life gets better. Because of the break up and the fact that I have had no money/steady job until now, it was necessary for me to move back in with my parents. They were extremely kind and generous to allow me to move back in, but I will say that after 7 years of being at least semi on my own, moving back in with them has been a challenge. One is what my url is named after, again, a different story for a different time. Right now I'm doing introductions.

My life, in short, is ridiculous. I've been told for ages that I need to write out my life for others to read, so I will take this as my opportunity. My parents are crazy but wonderful, my best friend if insane and my life is absolutely not what I dreamed about. I can tell you in all honesty, I would never have thought at 26, almost 27, I'd be sitting at a computer in the downstairs bedroom aptly nicknamed "the green cave" in my parents' house, typing out this at 12:35am, while buzzed on cheap beer that I had to sneak downstairs because my dad doesn't allow any liquids anywhere in the house that has carpet. Coors light is sorta like water though. But, I can laugh at my life and I hope you can too.

1 comment:

  1. This is mom. You are now on restriction for taking the beer downstairs young lady. Forget about going out this weekend. Oh, and your boyfriend is a fool for letting go of you.

    ReplyDelete